Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Review: Contours Express Circuit Training Program

Its a very different type of product I'm reviewing today - a fitness program!

First, let me introduce Contours Express.

Contours Express is an international franchise of gyms exclusively for women.
They have been voted as AsiaOne People’s Choice Award 2010 for Best Wellness Provider, 
and pride themselves on being fun, effective, and efficient.

Now, to be honest, I have never heard of Contours Express before doing this review.
I was initially skeptical, due to the name; how does one achieve express contours?!
We all know it takes time and commitment for exercise to produce effects.
However, upon research, I realise I've been taking it quite too literally. :B

Contours Express does not promise shortcuts to a better body,
but they promise to make your journey efficient.

How?

1. Their branches are located islandwide - easy access in all parts of Singapore.
2. Each session is only 29 minutes - can't say no time for that!
3. They offer personalised fitness training at no extra charge.
4. Workout equipment tailored especially to suit women - no worries of turning out like the Hulk!

Sounds good for a busy person like me, especially points 1 and 2 !

I'm not joking, I've tried to stick to a weekly exercise habit and it's just so hard.
Need motivation and time. :x
So I'm hoping for this session to kick me into exercising.

Now, I've signed up for a session of circuit training.
Circuit training aims to build strength and muscle endurance, via aerobics.
I've heard of circuit training as a trend among celebrities, but havent given much thought about it.

I went to Bedok's branch, which was nearby my workplace. :D
Locker rooms, changing/shower rooms are available if you need it!


I had to fill in a registration form, which other than the basic stats,
also provided me an opportunity to highlight my current lifestyle habits and areas of concerns.
There are 5 main concerns which I was told to rank.
In order of importance:

- Maintain a healthy lifestyle
- Tone muscles
- Improve flexibility
- Weight loss
- Relieve muscle ache and joint pain.

I like how they would use the information to design a workout personally for yourself.
I also had my height and weight measured, as well as my body fat percentage.

On to the actual workout.

Warm up was 2.5 minutes on the gym bicycle.
#butfirstletmetakeaselfie
#actuallyforreviewguidelines ;p


I proceeded next to the circuit, which was arranged in a rectangle.
Basically, I alternated between on-the-spot movement stations, which helped tone the muscles,
and weight stations, which builds muscle strength. These involved equipment like the leg press.
Each station takes 45 secs, and you are prompted to the next station when time is up.
1 session involves 2 sets of circuits, which is 29 minutes.

Taa-daa! The spacious gym.
I love that it doesnt smell sweaty and all :x
The wooden squares are the movement stations.


After the circuits, I did crunches, oblique crunches and leg lifts.
Followed by a round of cool down stretches.
Done!

It's quite smart, cause movement to each station is synchronized, and no one hogs the equipment.
Plus, each workout session tones and strengthens at the same time, which is awesome!
A perfect balance, so that your muscles wont get too defined and scary :B

My friendly trainer also took my heart rate after the whole session to determine my stamina.

On a side note:
She's really patient, encouraging me on and guiding me on the correct methods.
Thanks to her I realized my posture problem;
when my knees bend, my butt doesnt go out. That's not supposed to happen, LOL.
And she's truly friendly, cause she was saying hi to everyone by their names.
Wah I can't imagine how she can remember :x

Want to know my analysis results?
It actually shocked me a little, because I thought I was fit and healthy enough :x

My BMI is 20.9 : Ideal for my age range.
Body Fat Percent is 33.9% : NOT IDEAL for my age range. Ideal is below 25%
Total Body Water is 50.3% : NOT IDEAL. Ideal should be 55-60%.
Heart rate is 85% : Indicates a weak stamina.

Like omg it's far from healthy ):
I blame my hectic work-school lifestyle.
With the final year of uni and increased workload, I havent exercised properly in more than 6 months

Based on the above, I was advised to drink more water,
exercise at least 3 times a week for optimal results,
and be more conscious of my diet, i.e. no restricted foods, but I have to watch portions.

Death sentence for a glutton I swear LOL.

So, because its going to be a brand new year, I want to make a resolution to improve my fitness level!
Waiting happily for my final university paper so that I'll be done with balancing work and school.
I'm actually going to graduate in Jan 2015, and that gives me more time for myself.
Time to do more nail art, and will try my best to lower em fat levels. LOL.

If you have the same thinking, do try out the free circuit training trial at Contours Express!
This promotion is courtesy of Samplestore.com, and valid till 31st January 2015.

And, to win 15 sessions of circuit training at Contours Express (worth S$299),
simply post a selfie of yourself working out during the trial.

Contest ends 31st December 2014.

I'm crossing my polished fingers and toes too. heheheh.

Have fun and good luck!

4 comments:

  1. Hello!
    Can u share your improvements after going to the gym?
    Am interested to know more (=

    Thanks in advance ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ghim Lee!

      I only went for one trial session! So I can't tell you about the long-term benefits.

      With regards to the gym itself, Contours Express did impress me in this one session, because the trainer was very encouraging and professional - she gave me personalized guidance, and did not pressurize me to sign on packages.

      With regards to the after-effects of the session, the body analysis gave me a scare - i thought i was healthy, but I was actually dehydrated and had quite a lousy stamina. So based on my trainer's advice, I tried to drink more water, as well as go jogging whenever I'm free.

      Hope I've helped with your queries! (:

      Delete
  2. Hi friends not really my money and time was wasted .initially the manager sweet in bedok told that I lost 3 kg but it was not at all.the trainee Pavithra never attends the queries or properly train me on floor exercise,but eveee time pushes only on renewal.so check to this before proceeding out there.if you want personally can check with me this info

    ReplyDelete
  3. My name is Monica sorry I never mention

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...